Dear John R. Lewis Elementary Families,
Please accept my warmest welcome to the 2023-2024 school year! You can look forward to many new and exciting experiences and opportunities during your time here.
You can count on me to:
● Hold high expectations for all students and maintain a strong culture of learning
● Work every day with enthusiasm and diligence in service of Lewis’ mission
● Enforce school behavior expectations with consistency and respect for the dignity of each student
I will count on parents and guardians to:
● Send your child(ren) to school every day ready to be kind and enthusiastic learners
● Communicate daily with your child about their studies and school experiences
● Assist your child In taking increasing ownership of their learning
I will count on students to:
● Be curious and interested in the world around you
● Put forth your best effort in all classes and be engaged in your learning
● Conduct yourselves with dignity and demonstrate respect for all in service of Viking behavior
First Day of School: Wednesday, August 23: Half-day from 8:30-11:40. Students must be picked up at 11:40.
Open House: Tuesday, August 22 from 5:00-6:30. Dinners will be available to students for free, and adult dinners are available for a cost of $3.00.
NEW Regular School Hours: 8:30-3:32. Students must be picked up at 3:32.
Early release dismissal time is 2:27 on the following days: 9/27, 10/25, 11/29, 1/24, 2/28, and 4/24.
● Use the parent lane and stay to the right while students are met at their car by a staff member for
the first few days.
● Please be patient as we spend time to ensure that student transportation information is accurate.
● You may be asked to show ID.
● Only people listed as an authorized contact in Power School may pick up a student. Please
contact the school if you need to make changes to this for your child.
● Kindergarten parents may arrive for pickup at 3:15 so that the little ones may be brought to their
● Guests cannot enter the building until all students are in the building and the doors are secured.
At this time, if you wish to enter the office, please buzz in and follow safety protocols. You may be
asked to show ID to the camera upon entry. Safety and security is our top priority. We thank you
for your patience and understanding as we work carefully the first few days of school to ensure
the safety of all of our students.
Bus Transportation: Information will be mailed to households prior to the first day of school. Routes will
also be posted on the JPS website.
➢ Students may not bring any electronic devices or toys to school as they are a distraction to
learning. Any such items will be confiscated and kept in the office for parent pick up during school
➢ Students who bring their lunch may only bring individual-sized items for their personal
Students will be best prepared for learning and experience optimal brain growth by engaging in the
● Getting a good night’s sleep which includes no devices/screen-time after bedtime.
● Limiting home screen-time to no more than two hours a day and with parent supervision.
● Consistent home schedules, procedures, and routines.
● Reading and engaging in conversations & activities with adults at home.
I am a Lewis Viking.
I am a light.
I will learn and grow,
I will be good to others,
I will make the world a better place.
Please follow us on Facebook and the JPS app for frequent photos, information, and opportunities.
Please also refer to our handbook which is posted on the JPS John R. Lewis website.
It’s a great day to be a Viking!
John R. Lewis Elementary