JPS Transportation Department
Jackson Public Schools operates one of the largest transportation departments in the state. We safely transport over 5,000 students per day and cover a huge geographical area. It is our primary mission to serve our students and families with care and pride, from the early morning hours to late afternoon.
For Transportation questions, please call 517-841-2180.
Creating bus stops is an ongoing process, with the bulk of the stops assigned during the summer months. Riding a bus is a privilege not enjoyed by all of our students. There are several factors that determine eligibility to ride the bus and where stops are located.
- Young 5's - 5th Grade: Students must live more than .5 miles from their home school to be eligible for transportation.
- 6th - 8th Grade: Students must live more than 1.5 miles from their home school to be eligible for transportation.
- 9th - 12th Grade: Students must live at least 2.0 miles from school to be eligible for transportation
- State and Federal Regulations: There are numerous laws and regulations that govern how bus stops are assigned. This ensures that we have bus stops that are safe for our students and motorists alike.
The first two weeks of school are the busiest for our Transportation Department as we continue to adjust routes and times to make sure our service is of the highest caliber. Please be patient during the first few days as we make the changes necessary to serve you and your children.
Bus Rules & Conduct
- All students Y5 - 12 must wear a mask
- All students must social distance on bus where possible (may sit with family members)
- Be at your stop at least 5 minutes before pick-up time.
- No profane language.
- Do not eat or drink on the bus.
- Keep the bus clean.
- Cooperate with the driver.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not damage bus or equipment.
- Stay in your seat.
- Keep head, hands and feet inside the bus.
- Do not fight, push or shove.
- Do not tamper with bus equipment